Bookmark and Share
home mail site_map
Loading Search ...
Hyd Flip Books
Top Clubs
Go Green

Mobile Solutions



Wanaparthi Samasthan

In the This is situated in Mahboobnagar District with an area of about 640 sq. miles. It was one of the most important Samasthans in the Nizam’s Dominion, Its origin dates back to the ancient kingdom of Vijayanagar. The Rajas of the Samasthans were closely associated with the Qutb Shahi kings. En one of the campaigns Immidi Venkat Reddy captured the fort of Udaigiri during the reign of Abdullah Qutb Shah and added it to the Golconda kingdom. The early Rajas of Wanaparthi kept an army of 2000 infantry and 2000 cavalry.

The Sultans of Golconda in recognition of his military services, bestowed on one of the Rajas the title of ‘Bihiri’. During the reign of Nizam-ul-Mulk Asaf Jah 1, Gopal Rao was very loyal to the Nizam and rendered valuable military services. During 1819 the Rajas of Wanaparthi were allowed to mint their own coins which were accepted by the Government treasury. On 17th March 1843, the title of “Balwant” was conferred on Raja Rameshwar Rao as a mark of honour by Sikander Jah. In 1853 with the approval of the Nizam the Raja issued a stamp for use in his law courts. The Raja had a special liking for military life.

He had a small army of his own with field guns. In 1855 he offered the services of 1000 Arabs to the British Government against the Russians. The Raja’s army also took an active part during the ‘Sepoy Mutiny’ and supported the Nizam and the British. The Nizam’s Government awarded a “Khillat” with a rifle, a sword and a revolver to the Raja on behalf of the Governor-General of India. The Nizam’s Government appointed the Raja as Inspector General of the Government field force. He was promoted to the rank of Inspector General of Cavalry and then to the Inspector General of the Nizam’s Army.

For administrative purposes the Samasthan was divided into two taluqas namely “Sugar” and “Kesampet” under two Tahsildars. The Rajas of Wanaparthi Samasthan constructed buildings including schools, temples, mosques and rest-houses for travellers. In 1905, Mir Mahboob Ali Khan Nizam VI conferred the title of “Mahabhupal” on Raja Rameshwar Rao for his valuable services. Subsequently he received the title of “Maharaja” from Nizam VII. The ‘Maharaja’ died on 22nd November, 1922. He was survived by two sons, Krishna Dcv Rao and Ram Dcv Rao. Krishna Dev Rao died on 11th April. 1924, leaving a son, Raja Rameshwar Rao Ill.

Copyright©2015 Privacy policy | Terms and conditions   
Top Tourist Spots      Hyderabad Flip Book

Pump Training By Peerless Pump Professional Instructors